Enhancing public awareness and support for women’s political participation and gender equality in five districts of Uganda
Political Participation and Leadership
Whereas the number of women in political leadership in Uganda has gradually increased over the years, the numbers are still dismal when compared to male representation. Women continue to be under-represented in political leadership and related electoral processes such as voters, candidates, agents or electoral administrators. The under- representation and participation of women is attributed to a combination of institutional, structural constraints as well as cultural and attitudinal barriers that discourage women from being active in public life.
In light of the above, Action for Development (ACFODE), with support from UN Women, is implementing the project entitled “Enhancing public awareness and support for women’s political participation and gender equality in selected Districts in Uganda” to counteract the situation.
17 months (01st August 2017 – December 2018)
AREA OF OPERATION
The project is being implemented in Kamuli, Pallisa, Moroto, Gulu and Kampala
To contribute to increased public awareness, consciousness, and support for women’s right to political participation and gender equality in the districts/regions of operation.
The major objective of this intervention is to change community perceptions and support towards women’s political participation and gender equality.
INTENDED PROJECT RESULTS
Women are perceived as equally legitimate and effective political leaders as men.
Increased community and civic understanding of gender equality and women’s right to political participation
- The following activities will be implemented over the 17 months of the project duration:
- Review and update of four civic education tools
- Development of a gender responsive training manual on civic education and community mobilization
- Development of a gender responsive civic education handbook and posters
- Conduct civic education in communities (national and community level)
- Conduct a Training of Trainers and Orientation for CSO actors & the Project Team at National Level
- Launching the project at National level.
- Conduct civic education sessions for key stakeholders at local level to increase community awareness and support for gender equality and women’s political participation
- Organize 15 Community Barazas on civic education from a gender perspective
- Conduct Training for 50 media practitioners
- Produce and Air 28 Minibuzz TV Programmes on women’s right to political participation and gender equality
- A total of 6 radio talk show guides will be developed and sent to radio stations in the selected districts
- Conducting a total of 6 polls on civic education using U reports
- Produce and Run 6 radio talk show guides on women’s right to political participation and gender equality
- Mobilize and orient 150 Cultural leaders to understand, appreciate and support gender equality and women’s right to political participation.
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES/TARGET GROUPS
- Rights holders (men, women, boys and girls)
- The youth (male and female)
- Civil society actors
- Religious leaders
- Media practitioners
- Cultural leaders
- Community leaders