Strengthening Community Participation in Local Governance and Promotion of Women and Girls’ Rights
The project will be implemented for a period of 3 years (2016-2018)
AREAS OF OPERATION
The project is being implemented in Amolatar and Oyam Districts (Lango Sub Region)
The project aims to empower “rights holders (Marginalized girls and women) to enjoy their fundamental human rights and contribute in local governance and democratic processes in Lango sub region.”
INTENDED PROJECT OUTCOMES
- 2,000 Rights holders and communities influence local government policies and hold duty bearers accountable for social and democratic accountability
- 12 CEDAW committees, social actors, CS actors, (Rights holders groups ) and duty bearers (local political leaders, police and Local Government technocrats) pro actively promote and protect women’s and girls’ rights as well as provide restorative support to survivors of VAW/G
- Improved socio economic wellbeing (e.g increased incomes, access to education, health care etc ) of social enterprise groups ( women and girls)
- A critical mass of male role models actively advocating for gender responsive cultural practices
- Elected women leaders influence gender responsive policies and programmes
- Conduct trainings for 2000 rights holders/citizens and 20 CSO’s in gender, advocacy, rights, entitlements and responsibilities.
- Capacity building sessions for rights holders (active citizens in organized groups including CSO actor’s in the use of gender responsive tools to monitor service delivery
- Organize bi -annual accountability forums at sub county level
- Conduct follow up refresher trainings for community monitors on Gender Responsive tools (GRT) and PETS
- Facilitate annual strategic engagement meetings with district sectoral committees to discuss recurrent local governance and women, child mothers and girls rights issues
- Organize advocacy and lobbying initiatives on emerging governance and women rights issues
- Media and publication
- Conduct trainings for 200 elected councilors (women and men), 200 social actors and 20 CSO actors in women rights using CEDAW
- Carry out a study on VAW and child mothers in Lango sub region for evidence based advocacy.
- Organize district level events to commemorate 16 days of activism and a regional convention on VAW/G (targeting 300 rural and urban participants (Women and men)
- Conduct trainings in social enterprise for 60 women groups and 120 Child Mothers.
- Organize a National Level Social enterprise Expo
- Mobilize and orient 60 male gender equality champions ( adult males)
- Support boys in primary and secondary schools to undertake gender equality initiatives
- Conduct Bi annual follow up and support visits to the male and boy gender champions
- Conduct capacity building trainings for newly elected leaders and technical leaders (150 in total) on gender, accountability and their roles in governance.
- Conduct experience sharing sessions with female aspirants who lost in the 2016 general elections
- Conduct 2 support engagement sessions with newly elected female leaders and their partners ( 200 participants)
- Conduct mentoring sessions for 100 women councilors.
- Rights holders: To include women, men, boys and girls, as well as child mothers.
- Civil society organizations working at the local government level in the four districts.
- Duty Bearers : Including newly elected male and female councilors