Enhancing leadership roles of women councilors in influencing council decision making
The Women’s Democracy Group is a coalition of five civil society organizations in Uganda comprising of Action for development, Center for Women in Governance, Forum for Women in Democracy, Women’s Democracy Network-Uganda Chapter and Uganda Women’s Network. The coalition was established in 2009 with the aim of strengthening women’s leadership and influencing gender responsiveness in democratic governance
Women’s Democracy Group with support with DGF is implementing a project entitled; Enhancing leadership roles of women councilors in influencing council decision making.
June 2016 – December 2017
AREA OF OPERATION
ACFODE is implementing this project in 10 districts of Sembabule, Rakai, Kalangala, Oyam, Lira, Amolator, Dokolo, Kanungu, Rukungiri and Kisoro
- Enhance the capacities of newly elected women leaders at national level and in the project districts to influence adoption and implementation of at least 30% of recommendations in the Women’s Manifesto.
- Strengthen women’s leadership and representation within political parties to influence implementation of the Women’s Manifesto 2016-2021
- Between 2015-2016, 650 women attended capacity building workshops for women for aspiring women leaders in selected districts of Kalangala, Rakai, Sembabule, Kisoro, Kabale, Rukungiri, Kanungu, Kole, Apac, Oyam, Kiboga and Pallisa.
- Of the 650 participants, 151 women won elective positions at Sub County, district and national level.
- 10 district women caucuses have been formed and are at the forefront of lobbying for women and girls’ issues in council, district plans and budgets.
- Mentoring and Coaching Session for District Women Leaders
- Reflection Meetings for the District Women Caucuses
- Annual Colloquium for Women Leaders to review and re-strategize on advancement of women’s manifesto
- Gender Analysis of Political Party Guidelines and Regulations
- Skills Development for Political Leaders to influence prioritization of issues in the Women’s Manifesto
- Annual Assessment of performance of political parties on implementation of key demands in the Women’s Manifesto.
- Quarterly Press Conferences
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES/TARGET GROUPS
- Newly elected female members of parliament
- LCV Councilors
- Political party leaders at national level
- Selected parliament committees including gender and social service committee, health committee, legal and parliamentary affairs committee; community members-men and women